Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Noshing 9-5: What a Way to Make a Living


This foodie fell into the perfect job about a month ago. What do I do, you ask? My official title is "Catering & Events Coordinator." But what do I DO? Oh, I talk about food from 9-5; taste it, divulge in it, chat it up with our wonderful chef and converse with all my other delightful foodie co-workers who have been in the industry most of their lives, thus making them super star experts. I smile all day as aromas waft across my nose, as the Executive Chef says things like "I'm off to get some Ahi" or as I'm greeted with a crispy and cheerful salmon cake drizzled with a Cajun Aioli sauce when I walk through the door.

Sometimes I head to events where my "job" is to sample the food and talk about it with other friendly event folks. Sometimes I head out to visit potential clients, bearing chocolate treats and singing our praises in hopes that they will book with us soon. (So far, I'm pretty decent, but hope to improve my wooing skills. Is wooing a word?) Sometimes I cheerfully answer a call and assist someone in building a menu for their special wedding, event, retirement, birthday party, corporate lunch, etc. Sometimes I help deliver and set up the food as people sit through meetings, dreaming of sugar plums, or whatever we have concocted behind the green curtain.

Sometimes I'm a guinea pig as our Chef creates something new, asking us to sample his exquisite art. My favorite so far is a fillet of salmon with a miso glaze, topped with an Uzu cucumber sesame dressing and garnished with popping little fish roe. I placed this perfect bite upon my tongue and immediately performed a jig (in my head,) and maybe slapped the Chef's arm a wee bit too hard out of excitement. (They'll get used to me. Eventually.)

All in all, I don't go to work: I go to play. I am blissful and I thank everyone who supported me in this endeavor.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Christine!!!!!! I'm so happy you found something that you love and you get paid for it. You are a professional nosher now. Miss you and enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete