Friday, February 12, 2010

Garlic: the New Black

After supposedly sporting a stethoscope and curing folks for ages in Korea, China and Japan, black garlic donned a chef's hat, traversed to the U.S. and began to cure bored palates. Upon arrival, this member of the onion family quickly became the next "it" ingredient. Its sweet, fermented cloves hypnotized chefs across the country and enchanted its way into top kitchens' dishes while making celebrity appearances on TV shows such as Bravo's Top Chef: New York.

So what exactly is this black garlic I speak of? Why is it black? Has it been burnt or ruined? Perhaps the color is simply its best defense. "Yes, yes, I'm burnt and ruined through and through. Don't eat me. I'm awful." Don't you be deceived, my noshing friend. The flavor is purely divine. Spread it on a cracker and call it bliss; dab it on some scallops and bliss will explode. Yes, yes and oh my goodness, yes.

This bulb is best aged at a constant temperature over a month, which yields a soft, jelly-like texture, a black color and a sweet molasses flavor, of course complemented with a hint of garlic. This heaven has only teased my tongue once, but I sincerely hope Mr. Black Garlic and I meet again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment